The most important values in Pinewood Derby competition are parent / Scout participation, good sportsmanship and learning how to follow rules. The Pack Leadership Committee is responsible for recognizing and encouraging these qualities in addition to traditional racing awards.
Two types of awards are presented during our race:
- Speed Awards recognize the Participates based on the average speed of their cars during the competition. These awards are determined based on the car’s fastest average time as outlined in Race Day: Determining Winners above.
- Design Awards recognize the Participant’s creativity and hard work designing, building and finishing their cars. These awards are determined based on the established selection criteria.
- Den Races:
- First, second, third place finishers in each den based on the car with the fastest overall average time in the Den. (Trophy)
- Most fuel efficient (Certificate) presented to the car with the slowest average time in the Den.
- Pack Finals: First, second, third-place overall finishers based on the car with the fastest overall average time in the Pack Finals. (Trophy)
- The car’s race times in the Den races are not included in their average for Pack Finals.
These awards winners are selected by Pack Leadership Members and winners are awarded a certificate. Below are some examples of past awards:
- Most Patriotic
- Best Fuel Economy
- Most Creative
- Best Sportsmanship
- The Den Award (Trophy) is given to the fastest den. All times from each den are combined to find out which den was the fastest.